Monday, June 30, 2014

Sisters of Wind and Flame by Jennifer Ellision

Sub Genre: Young Adult Fantasy
Release Date: June 30, 2014

ABOUT Sisters of Wind and Flame:

A short Threats of Sky and Sea prequel—
Once, Lady Katerine was simply Ekaterina. Once, she was not a countess, but a girl who cleaned fireplaces. And once, she had a sister...

~ Excerpt ~

After passing sixteen summers, I know not to expect that life will promise me any more.

The city’s watchmen thunder past me, clouds of dirt billowing behind them. Tiny grains fly into my eyes and I blink at their intrusion, but I’m accustomed to it by now.

The watchmen have slapped red onto the back of a man who struggles to keep his feet beneath him, wrists bound by ropes strung to the steeds’ saddles. The horses won’t slow for him if he fails to keep up.

Others in the market avert their eyes, knowing the man’s trespasses. Knowing his fate. The red he wears tells us all we need to know. He’s spilled the blood of another. Taken a life.

But I don’t look away. My sore eyes stay locked on the man’s stumbling path until long after his steps lose the battle. In the distance, his figure sails over the dirt and rocks like a limp rag doll until he disappears into the dust, the clouds swallowing him whole. I can’t summon pity for the man—or his victim.

The only promise life fulfills is its end.
Jennifer Ellision spent a great deal of her childhood staying up past her bedtime with a book and a flashlight. When she couldn’t find the stories she wanted to read, she started writing them. She loves words, has a soft spot for fanfiction, and is a master of the fangirl flail. She resides in South Florida with her family, where she lives in fear of temperatures below 60 Fahrenheit.
Website | Twitter | Facebook | Newsletter

~ Giveaway ~

2 comments:

  1. Hmm... I'm not too sure about Speculative fiction. I guess? i think it's similar to Fantasy and Science Fiction, which are one of my favorite genres to read. :3

    Thanks for the giveaway Heidi! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sophia, Fantasy and Science Fiction are two of the larger sub genres of Speculative Fiction! Thanks for stopping by, Heidi:)

      Delete