Monday, December 14, 2015

Nameless: The Darkness Comes (Book 1 of the Bone Angel Trilogy) by Mercedes M. Yardley

Release date: December 11, 2015
Subgenre: Urban fantasy

 About Nameless: The Darkness Comes

 

 Luna Masterton sees demons.

She has been dealing with the demonic all her life, so when her brother gets tangled up with a demon named Sparkles, ‘Luna the Lunatic’ rolls in on her motorcycle to save the day.

Armed with the ability to harm demons, her scathing sarcasm, and a hefty chip on her shoulder, Luna gathers the most unusual of allies, teaming up with a green-eyed heroin addict and a snarky demon ‘of some import.’

After all, outcasts of a feather should stick together...even until the end.

This is volume one in The Bone Angel Trilogy by Mercedes M. Yardley, author of the award-winning novella Apocalyptic Montessa and Nuclear Lulu: A Tale of Atomic Love


Excerpt:

 

 

A faded red curtain hung over a doorway leading to an adjacent room. The weak sound of trickling water came from behind it. I did a quick scan of the room for any sign of life, but I couldn’t see anything except for the bizarre site in front of me. In the center of the room, resting on the disheveled red carpet, sat a large fish tank. It was tilted heavily to the side, and water was running out of the top and soaking into the carpet underneath. I looked down at my combat boots and raised one foot. The carpet was soaked. It had absorbed far more water than the tank should hold. Strange.
My eyes caught a flash of color, and I carefully stepped forward. The floor was littered with starfish. All sizes. All colors. I reached down and tried to pick one up, but it adhered to the carpet. Still alive.
With a sharp plop, a starfish vaulted from the fish tank and landed on the carpet. I blinked and felt my mouth twist. There was something so off and vicious about the movement. Was it escaping? Was it being tossed? Starfish are charming little things. Seeing it do something that shouldn’t be physically possible was making my hackles rise.
The tank vomited out another starfish, and I had to look away. Enough of this. Get in, find out if anybody knows where Lydia is, and get out.
“Keep it together, Luna.”
I shook my head and grit my teeth. Stepping over the silent starfish, I made my way to the cracked fish tank and peered inside. The smell that emanated from it was unholy and disturbingly familiar. Sweet with a slight metallic tang. My instincts demanded I run, and I straightened up and turned my face away, my eyes still focused on the water. It wasn’t a fishy smell at all. I struggled to place it. Then I had it, and my stomach dropped.
“It’s blood.”
Almost like my words had conjured it, the clear water turned cloudy. The unceasing water began to run red, and thick, sticky blood was quickly swallowed by the carpet. The starfish on the ground lifted themselves up like spiders onto their legs and struggled to crawl away. The starfish in the tank began to scream. One sailed out of the bloody water and smacked into the side of the tank. The glass cracked, and the starfish slowly slid back into the depths, leaving a bloody trail behind it.
My breathing was coming much too fast. I should sit down and put my head between my knees but couldn’t bear to touch the damp carpet. Was it always red, or has the blood simply stained it this color? Blood pooled around my foot as I shifted my weight, and I thought I was going to be sick right there. I had seen demons my entire life, but this was something beyond that. There was something going on in this house that was more twisted and evil than anything I had ever experienced. I needed to be strong if I was going to overcome it. For the first time, I realized I genuinely might not make it back out.

 

Amazon

 

About Mercedes M. Yardley:

MercedesM. Yardley is a dark fantasist who wears red lipstick and poisonous flowers in her hair. She writes short stories, nonfiction, novellas, and novels. She is the author of Beautiful Sorrows, Nameless: The Darkness Comes, and Little Dead Red. Mercedes lives and works in Sin City.

Website | Blog 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment